8.07.2008

Josh & His Boot - Part II

So yesterday we went back to the orthopedic doctor for a follow-up appointment, or so we thought. Again, waiting in the waiting room forever and with two kids this time - that was not my idea of time wisely spent. But that's how most doctor's offices are. They were so busy that they put us into the "cast" room (instead of a regular room), and I didn't think about it much at first and then I was like, wait a minute. So I asked the nurse, just because we're in this room doesn't mean he's getting a hard cast, right? And she said no. Phew, I thought to myself. We dodged a bullet!


Wrong (in a sense). The doctor comes and shows us the new xrays they had done on Josh's leg. And their they are - one prominent white line and a few little lines going across both the tibia and fibula. My heart just sank. At first the doctor said that he would need to stay in his boot for 3-4 more weeks, but upon looking at the xrays - the bones look like they are starting to heal - so we'll need to go back for another appointment (and probably more xrays) in a week and a half. Which in the big picture, is not too bad - but one week as been hard enough. Mainly because of how active Josh is! The doctor asked us, "is he crawling" - and I just had to laugh, because he just doesn't know my child. And we replied back, "uh, no he's running on this thing!" So the doctor said to carry him as much as possible (um, what?). I need a double stroller for that!


Well here is the copy of the xray that we got. It's not as clear as the actual xray. But you might just be able to see where the little white lines are - those are the fractures.




We don't even know what caused this! All we know is that he started limping and then complaining that he had an owie on his leg. Heidi, maybe you're right - Josh does have a high pain tolerance. Who knows how long it's been like this. I mean, he's fallen - but there hasn't been one specific fall that I can think of that's like - yep, that was the one! So, who knows.

And we can only take the boot off when Josh needs a bath, which is when I'm going to wash it as well because that thing stinks! So now when he gets a bath, we have to put lotion on his leg, put a sock on him and then put his boot on. Kind of a hassle when he needs to go potty. But if he can potty train through this, he can do anything!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you ask him how this break might have happened? Is it going to happen again?