8.03.2008

Our Anniversary

Yesterday was me and Brad's 5 year anniversary. Five years married and 8 1/2 years of being together. It's a small milestone, but one nonetheless. But if any of you are thinking that this is a warm and fuzzy blog, and that I'm going to talk about how much I love my husband and that he got me a really special present on our anniversary (or that we even went to a romantic dinner out and got a babysitter) - you'd better start reading someone else's blog.

The day hadn't started off with a bang to begin with, but it was salvagable. I had gotten a crappy night's sleep, because for some reason Maddie decided to keep getting out of her swaddle (I know, she's still swaddled) and that was keeping her up. I had to go in at least 5 times and every time I'd just get back to sleep, low and behold - she'd wake up again. Ugh. Very frustrating night. So, when she woke up at 7:30 (about an hour after I'd already gotten up with Josh) - I thought, I am going to fix this. So I got out the sewing machine that my mother-in-law gave me and tried to start using it. I had to call 2 friends to ask for help and Julia ended up coming over before I could get a hold of Melissa, and got things going with the sewing machine. Sidebar: I don't sew very often (maybe twice a year), I don't have the booklet on that sewing machine, and it's like 10 years old - so I don't know my way around it very well. So Julia gets me started (but I accidently woke her up by calling too early - sorry!), and as I'm walking her out the door - Brad says "uh, Josh is messing with your sewing machine". What?!? So I say bye to Julia and run to where I have everything set up - complete chaos! Everything that we had just worked so hard on was ruined. I had to start all over from scratch and that didn't make me happy. Let's see combine lack of sleep + mad that I was the only one getting up that night + being frustrated over the stupid sewing machine, and that = one for the record books fight!

Long story short, we fought about the stupid sewing machine, about my supposed bad attitude, and then that was it - our anniversary was ruined, and there was no going back. That always seems to happen to us on special days. I remember one year, Thanksgiving (of all holidays) was ruined. And this year it was Valentine's Day (Brad had to work), and now this. We haven't had a big fight in so long, and of course it just has to happen on our anniversary - go figure! So we didn't even end up speaking to each other for like 6 hours! Now that's hard to do when you're living in the same house.

But we finally worked things out. He did buy me some beautiful roses and did get me a card (all this before the big fight though), so it wasn't all bad. But no romantic dinner, which there probably wouldn't have been anyways because we don't have anyone to watch the kids. But we've made up, everything discussed, and we'll have to wait and see what next year holds. And yes, I still do love my husband very much - but sometimes he just really pisses me off!

2 comments:

Missa said...

seems like the special days are the easiest to ruin. Usually our expectations are higher for them I guess. Sorry you had a crummy day.

Jennifer (Niffer) said...

sorry babe! I know how those things happen! UGH! I would so fly down and watch your kiddos for you if I could! I had a sick baby on my anniversary so I totally understand! Maybe next year right?