8.27.2008

Scare

Well yesterday we (our family) had a pretty big scare. In our area (for those of you who haven't watched the news) there was a power lineman accident. For those of you who don't know what a lineman is (which is what Brad does for a living), they climb power poles and work with electricity. This is a very dangerous job and should be taken very seriously. When your power goes out at any time - during a storm, the summertime heat, etc. - a lineman is the one risking his life to get your power turned back on.

So back to the scare - there were two lineman that had gotten electrocuted. One was killed and the other sustained extremely serious burns and is in critical condition. I had to find this information out from a friend (which was fine), but then also from the local news channel. The news didn't even have all of the information and was just a tidbit - but it was a story, so they ran with it. I just barely caught the end of the news story - so I tried to look it up on a local news channel's website. And from there it just got worse. People (anyone) can comment on stories, so I read some of the responses to this one. And boy, what a big mistake that was. There were people commenting that - wow, this story is electrifying or shocking. Others saying - oh, I thought linemen just stole copper wire. And yet others saying, that a woman needed counseling because her husband is a lineman and she worries every time he walks out the door to go to work. People can be so cruel - I just couldn't believe it. People have no respect - these men were/are sons, husbands and fathers. They have nothing better to do with their time than to write negative comments about something they know nothing about. I was getting pretty stinkin' mad and sitting there crying because I was worried that one of these men was my husband. At the time, I hadn't been able to get ahold of Brad yet - so I was scared. Really. Freakin'. Scared.

The story is horrific and I know more details than someone just watching the news. And believe me, being a lineman is a scary thing. I worry about Brad every time he has to go to work. He doesn't have THE most dangerous job, but it's up there. When he finally did get home, Josh and I went outside to meet him. And there, all three of us did a huge bear hug. And of course, then the tears started pouring. Complete meltdown ensued. I'm not sure if I didn't want to believe or if I just didn't want to start panicking yet - probably a little bit of both. If Brad hadn't called me, and I hadn't heard anything by the time I usually do - watch out. Sheer terror and panic would have erupted. People don't even say thank you to lineman, and the only time they complain about their power is when it's out. So next time you turn on a light, think of a lineman.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!! how scary!!!! Thank GOD! it wasn't Brad! I bet you were just pissed reading all that negative stuff about linemen.it seems pretty scary and you wouldn't catch me anywhere near one! i would have a heart attack about 1/2 way up there. Hats off to your hubby for power! and to all the other linemen in the world. and my power is on..... I can imagine how scared you were.

I get it though, my brother is now an EMT so he can be a paramedic and fire fighter. I just know that whenever I think of fire it is going to freak me out! I don't want him doing that and getting hurt. I know he is only 25 now but still..... he will always be a baby to me....

JennGoodley said...

okay maybe I don't have to be anonymous anymore, I don't get it. It worked before and now it does not but the above comment was from me

Jenn Goodley

Echo said...

I hope you don't mind. I have been trying to seek out all the linemens' wifes I can find that blog. I am in dier need of some info. My husband is currently attending Northwest Lineman College and I guess I didn't have a very clear picture of what I signed up for. We have a young family to, our children are about the same age as yours. I guess I don't understand the apprentice part of this. What companies should we be looking at to get hired on with, seeing that we have a young family? I have heard to stay away from contractors and the IBEW. How did you husband start out? I could really appreciate any insight you might could share. Please e-mail me at proud_mommy020305@yahoo.com Thanks!