7.23.2008

Work

Okay, so this post is not for the faint of heart. If you don't like hearing about blood, bodily fluids, CEs (cervical exams), etc. Stop reading. Right. Now.

I'm serious. Stop. Reading.

So I've really been missing work. Don't get me wrong, I'm so scared to go back - but I'm definitely missing it! I miss seeing (and touching - no I'm not a pervert) pregnant bellies, helping a mom through a difficult labor, and I know, I know - it's weird, but starting IVs. There is just something wonderfully cool when you hit the vein and know that you're in! I know, call me weird, but it's so cool to see that flashback and to be like - whahoo, I'm in. Ok, so that's one part that I miss.

Another part I miss, which is also weird, is being able to actually stomach stuff. I mean, when you're and l&d nurse, you can't really have a weak stomach. You have to be prepared for people (mommas and dads) to be puking (and getting it on you no less), be prepared for any bodily fluid coming (sometimes shooting out) at you, and for drama - baby and not baby drama. Trust me, I have some stories in the vault that would blow your mind! Crazy dads & even more crazy grandmas, and well patients for that matter!! As an l&d nurse, you have to be able to handle all kinds of crazy & sad moments - and moments that just tug at your heart.

So back to the stomaching stuff - it seems like the more I'm away from it, the less I can handle. I used to have an iron stomach - I'm talking about saying disgusting stuff, talk about anything at the dinner table (which is ALWAYS the best time to talk about that kind of stuff), see anything, smell anything - type of iron stomach. Now, I'm such a wuss! I still don't mind seeing blood - that will never bother me. But now, any little smells bother me - and if Brad talks about throwing up, I'm more likely than ever to gag. Which used to never happen. I've been sprayed with amniotic fluid, pricked with an IV that I'd just tried to put in a patient, and a whole lot more that I will kindly not mention. So, I guess I'm ready to get my stomach back - in more ways than one. But PS, I've never been a mucous type person. Trachs and lung butter really bother me. Yuck.

Ok, so totally off the subject too - but why, whenever you try to start an IV in someone do they always say - "oh, I don't like needles" - really, no shit! No one likes needles (well except for druggies) - and if you do, um sorry to say - but there is something wrong with you!

Sorry for the outburst. I also miss those really good/nice patients that remember you after they've had their labor. The ones that completely trust you to make the right decisions, and the ones that when their birth plan changes (which, all of us l&d nurses know - it will change, it's not if -but when it changes) they are willing to do what it takes for their baby. Also the labors when the patient goes natural (and I'm not talking about a vaginal delivery - which is what some people think it means by going natural), but what I mean is going without drugs - and you helping them all the way through it. Working with the labor ball, giving counter pressure, walking, being in the tub - everything. Those labors are so refreshing. It's hard when you get like 5 labors in a row when they start out on pit, need continuous monitoring, get an epidural, and are stuck in bed the whole time. Which, I know, I'm a walking contradiction - because that's exactly what I did with my last baby. But it's different when you're on the other side of things. And besides that, I'm a wuss remember!

So I guess that's it. I'm ready to go back to work, in a nutshell. Ha!

2 comments:

Jennifer (Niffer) said...

are you really thinking of going back soon? I totally know what you mean about starting iv's and a natural labor & delivery! speaking of thinks shooting out... my last delivery was marked with urine (mom's) shooting straight up my arm as she's pushing! Fantastic!
I'm totally with you about the mucous/trachs! GROSS!
Miss you! Love reading your blog!

Missa said...

i don't think you're weird about the IV thing. As a past phlebotomist I totally know what you mean about hitting the vein. It's just a cool thing.