7.13.2008

Update on My Parents

Not everyone knows, but yes - my parents are getting a divorce. Our family has known since about May and things are starting to happen now. Their divorce papers have been signed, they sold their house, and the latest is that my dad just picked up his stuff from the house this last Wednesday. That was a big hurdle. He is now living in South Dakota and has a girlfriend, which he will probably marry. My dad and I haven't even talked since Mother's Day, and it feels weird not to think of my parents together. It's been difficult for my mom since she's the one that got left behind and my dad has had a chance to move on. Hell, they've been together for 30+ years. My mom has purchased a condo that she will move into the end of this month. She's also sold some of the furniture - which I think will be good for her if she just starts fresh.

I don't know what to make of it. I'm sad for my mom because of how everything happened, but I feel indifferent towards my dad. I am not mad at him, but I'm not waiting by the phone to hear from/talk to him. I think I'm just so far removed from it that it doesn't really bother me. Living so far away from my sister and mom, it doesn't effect my every day life. But we'll see what happens.

2 comments:

jenngoodley said...

WOW! I can't say that I know how you feel cause I don't. The closest I can say is that my X's parents got divorced right when we moved to Portland and I can say the feeling of dissipointment I felt when we found his dad cheating was so hard. I couldn't understand and I along with you was not waiting by the phone by any means for him to call. When he did it was like he didn't know what to say to me, and he would ask the same question over and over again. It was so hard to talk to him. It was just really uncomfortable and I couldn't quite grasp the whole thing, the selling of their house and all that. Then I had to pretend to like the boyfriends/girlfriends of both parents, it was so hard. His dad got married a few months after the divorce was final. It is a tough thing to deal with.

My husband (Josh) his dad has been married twice and divorced twice, I guess I just don't think getting married and divorced should be so simple.

If there is anything you need let me know

mrsv said...

I do know how you feel. For me though it was no surprise...my parents never got along and when I entered high school my dads and mine relationship got turbulent, so when my mom and I moved out one weekend while he was away on a business trip...it was actually a relief. I became a happier individual after that. I know that is not the case with everyone though. When I was younger, I thought that my parents would be together forever.

I am sorry your dad is doing what he is doing. That sucks. My dad cheated on my mom all throughout their marriage (for 18 years...with our middle school gym teachers (Mr. Owen) wife. Funny thing is that now they are living together and I am supposed to be cordial to the home-wrecking whore? Sorry for going off...I get worked up sometimes.

I hope your mom is doing okay. And the most re-assuring thing I can say is that things will get better...I promise. Good luck. If you ever need to talk I am here and will try not to be so hostile in future responses.