7.16.2008

I'm Pretty Upset Right Now

So as the title says, I'm upset right now. I'm pretty pissed off actually!

I just talked with Brad's mom and I happened to ask her when they are going to come down for a visit. Our arrangement that we have, started after Josh was born. We said that we would try to see each other every 3 months, so that it wouldn't be too long before they saw Josh again because kids grow up so fast. So they would take a turn driving and then it would be our turn, so all in all - we'd only have to drive back and forth twice a year to WA. Not too bad and definitely doable if you ask me. So they were here for Christmas and then in April, we drove up to WA to see them. And it's not an easy task driving 10 hours with 2 young kids. So it's at the 3 month mark, and I couldn't not ask her any longer -big mistake.

So I asked her and she gives me this big long winded answer, saying well this month is pretty busy (ok, there are only two weekends left in the month - I know they're not coming this month), and next month Brad's dad is going on a business trip (which he does EVERY year), so they are not coming then. And his dad starts teaching his classes again at the end of September, so maybe they could try to make it before then. Maybe they could make it? That's like 2 months away and it will be almost 6 months since they've seen the kids.

I guess I'm upset and pissed off for my kids. They (Brad's parents) are missing out on the experiences with their grandkids. And I feel this too because that's how it was with my family. My parents, sister and I lived pretty far away from my dad's parents and my dad's sister and her kids lived really close to them. Confused? But this is how it is with Josh and Maddie and their cousin, Erica (which is Brad's sister's daughter). Erica lives really close and they see her at least once a week. Well we don't get that luxury, and at best they see our kids every 3 months. This bothers me, because I know what it was like as a kid for this to happen. My cousins got a lot more stuff than my sister and I did (not that it's about stuff, but you know) and they just did more things period with my grandparents. A kid gets a little jealous of that. So I know how it feels. It's just frustrating. And they want us to move closer to home? Are they kidding? Why would we do that now? Why after living here for 4 years and them starting to taper off their visits, would we move closer to them when we decide to move? And sending pictures, why should I do that?

I know I'm upset right now and I will eventually feel differently about this, but I can't help but feel this way right now.

And you can say gas prices, cost of stuff going up, blah, blah, blah. But you should want to see your family as much as possible, especially when they live far away. But I guess we're just going to have to make our friends our family. Ok, done!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have one saying for you right now and it works wonders but it has to be from you and Brad . . .
GUILT TRIP
I have to admit I do this to my parents all the time.

They were watching my nephew twice a week as you know. I would call and give them guilt trips at least once a week. Mom would be going on about the weather being so crummy gas prices so high... My nephew being a toddler.
I would say back well it is gorgeous weather right now and gas is like 25 cents cheaper in Utah. The boys would love to see you. They don't even remember your face with the pictures.

Take the guilt off of you and put it back on them. :> (until they stop calling and then you know you have done it too much lol)