10.21.2008

Doctor's Appointment

I had a doctor's appointment today. It was just my yearly exam, nothing too exciting. I've been having a few (female) problems, so this was the perfect opportunity to talk about those things. Not to get into too much detail - the doctor asked me some questions about female issues (that's putting it nicely) and one thing lead to another and he talked with me about my thyroid and the possibility of it being low (hypothyroidism). (If you want the full story, I will gladly tell you - but for virgin ears, I won't write anything here, and plus it's a lot easier to say than to type it all out). So anyways...we talked about my thyroid. Back when I was in nursing school, I had a check-up and the nurse practitioner found a few thyroid nodules. And I can't remember now, but I must have had blood work done then, and a follow-up with an ultrasound came shortly after. They didn't find anything on the ultrasound and I wasn't put on any medication due to hyper- or hypothyroidism. So evidently it must not have been a big deal or anything.

Well long story short, I have another nodule. It's not a huge nodule, as I had no idea that it was even there, but it's there - the doctor could definitely feel one. They took some blood to run a few tests, and I guess we'll wait until then to see if there is anything to this stinkin' nodule thing. I'm just a little concerned that I DO have another nodule. But also a little relieved because if my thyroid isn't functioning correctly - that would explain how I've been acting the last few months. I've been having troubles sleeping (which isn't a new), troubles concentrating and lately it seems like I'm just not enjoying life altogether. It would definitely explain a lot. And if nothing is wrong - I don't have hypothyroidism, then I guess I will just chalk all of this up to mommy brain.

But I've been down in the dumps, I always seem tired, my periods seem like they keep getting worse, and my skin is really dry (I can't keep enough lotion on it). But then again - the down in the dumps, tiredness, and periods could all just be from having 2 young kids and having a baby 10 months ago. Dry skin could be that we don't have a water softener. So who knows? I just need to wait for the results and go from there. And it's not a huge deal if my thyroid isn't functioning correctly - it's an easy fix. I'm just a little worried about the nodule. But most nodules are noncancerous and are pretty common, so I will just wait to worry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

positive attitude is number one. :>

Missa said...

we will have to talk about all this. if it is hypothyroid, ask your doctor about armour thyroid as opposed to synthroid.
when do you go back for a check up?

JennGoodley said...

hmmm interesting, funny how I have some of your symtoms but from something totally different. I have been on tompamax for about a year now. it is a anti seizure meidcation for my migraines. I started at 50mg a day and now I am up to 100mg a day. It has been working VERY well for me. However it does make me extremely tired and I do have a very hard time concentrating. It has gotten a lot worse since I went up to a 100mg a day about a month ago. I hope that the nodules are nothing I am sure they are. The same but not, my dad had his yearly check up with work out at hanford, and they found kinda the same thing in his neck, but it must have been much bigger and right next to his thyroid. they did all the tests for cancer and it was non cancerous but they ended up taking it out. it was on his left side and making one side not work and the other over active. it is all very confusing and they are not good at explaining things to me so I don't know all the details but he went in for surgery in May and they took it out. Still no cancer. I was worried cause my dad has chewed since god knows when. but he is fine and everything is starting to work the right way now. So I have high hopes that you are fine and you will just have to take med to regulate or something simple like that. Hopefully if anything they will be able to find a way to make you feel better.

Let us know what you find out. If you want or need to talk or share more let me know i am here for ya