9.17.2008

Helping Others

First off, I'm not writing this post as a way of saying - oh, look at me and tell me what a great job I did. I'm not doing that. I'm writing this because of how good it made me feel and I want to share that with everyone I know. I joined a MOMs (meeting other mothers) group a while ago - before Maddie was born, and they have what is called the Sunshine club - thanks to Heidi :) This is where people bring food or whatever else the person needs if they have a baby, or someone close to them dies, etc. When I had Madison, Heidi was the one who arranged for people to bring me food (for an entire week no less), even though I hadn't done anything with the MOMs club for quite some time. Which I don't think I ever really thanked her - so THANK YOU Heidi!

Well, off the subject again. So there is a mom that is on bedrest and she needed some Sunshine. It was my turn to bring her dinner last night and even though it was a little hectic trying to get her the dinner, it was well worth it. It was such a great feeling to help someone else out, to give back in a way. I remember when all of those sweet, sweet souls brought our family dinner after Brad's mom left and I was so appreciative. It was nice to be able to do that for someone else, and I know how much she appreciated it because I was the same way. It just feels great to do some good in this crazy world (I know, it's cliche) - but I know I want to do more.

I've signed up to do some mailings for kids with autism - and I really hope it's not a scam, for the kids' sake. I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet - but all I have to do is supply the stamps, put together the paperwork, and set up some donations (hint, hint). So hopefully this all works out. But I'm craving more. Right now it's a little harder to do stuff for the community, but once Maddie gets a little older, I know that I'm going to be doing more. I want to do more. There are so many kids that need help out there, it's a little overwhelming, but they need help. So if anyone knows of any charities or things I can do to help out, please let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if you like doing that kind of stuff I know that The MS Society does the same thing. And I would appreciate that :>
You are welcome for the meals. I think they are more of a help with the second child.
I am glad all of your stress was worth it, with the bed rest mom (names changed to protect the innocent) the modified bed rest as it was. I agree lifting up two gallons of milk is NOT bedrest silly girl.
Well puppy did his duty and I decided waffles were not enough for dinner so I had some cereal. one oclock I should try to sleep now. Fun chatting today and this evening I am rambling. Oh what about Jake not Jack?

JennGoodley said...

KUDOS to you! You should feel good about what you have done. I think it is a great thing you helped out that mother. I bet she really needed it. I bet she even really loved having someone new to talk to other than the family or the wall she gets to stare at all day on bed rest....... I could not handle bed rest I would go INSANE! I think you did a great thing. Funny that I just wrote you on my space telling you that i did the breast cancer 3-day in memory of my grandmother. I have to tell you it changed me. I did not walk the entire 60 miles because of the knee problems and blisters i got the first day. But i did get help and rest to walk the 3rd day. It made me see how much i can do to help cancer patients and how much i really do care about others who have cancer or have beaten cancer. I pushed myself to walk 20 miles! I did not know I could walk that far even with injuries. I know that i will keep doing my part to fight breast cancer

You should feel good about yourself and I am proud of you for being a good person