6.15.2009

Josh's Hearing Test

The doctor looked in his ear and didn't find any fluid or wax build-up. He did 3 different hearing tests on him. One was to test for any pressure build-up in his ear, another was the standard hearing test (beep, etc), and the other was to test the actual bones in his ear. So for the first test, he failed (if you can call it that). They usually like to see a peak when doing that test to show that the eardrum is actually moving/vibrating because that’s how we hear, but Josh’s ears just showed a flat line, which was elevated – so obviously pressure. The 2nd test he also failed – but that is probably because of the pressure. He did say a couple of times to the doctor – what, I can’t hear that. And the 3rd test (testing the bones) – he passed. So there is no permanent damage to his ears, thank goodness! So the doctor said that he will pass this information on to our regular doctor and go from there. I asked him if we were looking at possibly putting tubes in his ears, and he said no. But it is something that we want to definitely keep an eye on. He said that one of his daughters had this same thing, and it finally cleared up in about 6 months – but six months!!! He also said that the doctor might want to prescribed antibiotics, but we would have to see. And one of the things I need to doctor about is if we can get him re-tested when he doesn’t have a cold and isn’t congested – if that would make a difference. Because it just happened that he was sick for the test. Which I still need to follow up with the regular doctor about all of this, but after the week I’ve had – I’ll just have to do it next week.

2 comments:

Jennifer (Niffer) said...

oh,,, just read this post! LOL!

Get a second opinion and get tubes! So worth it! Trust me!

My josh was the same exact way with the three tests!

haikitay said...

I am glad there is no permanent damage. Those bones are the ones my dad is missing. Let my know what the pediatrician says.