11.01.2008

Lithotripsy

Well Brad's kidney stone never passed. He ended up having a lithotripsy on Friday morning. Which meant I packed up both kids and him to drive to the surgical center about 30 minutes away, drive back - get a little bit of stuff taken care of, and then it was back to pick him up. They said that he had to be there an hour early, the procedure would take about an hour, and then he'd be in recovery for about an hour and a half. His appointment was for 9:45, so he was there at 8:45, and then they called me right as I'm getting out of the shower at 10:50! I was thinking that I had until at least noon. So here I am dripping wet, answering the phone, and I had just put Maddie down for a nap about thirty minutes before that.

I already had it set up that our neighbor would watch Josh and I would take Maddie to pick Brad up. I just didn't know what to expect and how he would react to being under general anesthesia - because everybody has a different reaction. Our neighbor was taking her kids to a little Halloween thing, which we had worked out ahead of time, and since I thought I had plenty of time - I knew they would be back in time to watch Josh. Well, as with all things that happen in life, I had to change course. The Halloween thing started at 11 - so I knew that they had just left, so I tried to call a couple of other people to watch Josh, but to no avail - it just didn't work out (thank you Julia for offering to help, I appreciate it!!!). So the only other thing I could do was get dressed really quick, put my hair up, wake Maddie up and take both kids with me to go and get Brad. Luckily he was very alert, could walk, and there weren't too many instructions on what we needed to do afterward. Josh was really good, but a little scared when we went back to the recovery room.

Brad is doing well. He had a pretty good sized welt on his back, followed by a red ring, he was feeling good at first and then started to get pretty sore. He took a couple of pain pills, and sucked it up to go trick-or-treating with us. I felt really bad for him, but he didn't want to miss going out with us. And of course, he'd never really let on about how much pain he was really in. Today is much better and to put it nicely - his stone is definitely broken up into pieces.

1 comment:

Missa said...

I'm so sorry I missed your call that morning!! I'm glad everything went ok. I hope Brad is feeling better soon.