12.15.2009

My Grandpa Bond

My dad and my Aunt Debbie


My dad receiving a flag for my grandfather's service in the Navy.

The granddaughters - Alisha (my sister), me, Nicky (oldest cousin), and Jenica (youngest cousin)

Ok, so I know that I have been REALLY bad about posting lately - I've just been so busy, so most of these next posts will be for this month.

On December 3rd my grandfather passed away. He was 84 years old and died in his sleep (or that is what I was told). He was my last remaining grandparent and it was very difficult (and still is) to hear the news. Long story short - his funeral was on the 10th and I left for California on the 8th. I was able to see my dad (who I haven't seen in almost 2 years) my aunt and my cousins. My sister was able to go as well, so it was good to have everyone together again, albeit under crappy circumstances. I just cried the moment I saw my dad at the airport, but I'm really glad that I went. And I'm really glad that Brad's parents were available to watch the kids so that I could mourn.

On Wednesday my dad and his new wife [and I say this because it's a entirely different story that I will have to talk about later] and I went to visit my great Aunt Marion's grave - which was good. And then later that afternoon was the viewing - which was extremely difficult. I've never really understood why anyone would want to have a viewing - but I'm actually glad that there was one so that I didn't completely loose it at the funeral service. They had a viewing specifically for the family for about an hour - and I was able to let out the feelings that I had held in for almost a week. It was really hard to see him look the way he looked. He didn't look like the grandpa that I knew.

On Thursday was the funeral service, which I pretty much cried through the entire thing. The pastor did a good job through the service, and read a little paragraph that we (the granddaughters) had written about grandpa. They also played the song that I had downloaded onto my iPod that my grandfather had sung to all of us granddaughters - "A - you're Adorable" by Perry Como. My grandfather and I also danced to that song at me and Brad's wedding - so it was very dear to my heart. After the service we headed over to the cemetery where my grandpa would be buried with my grandma. It's nice to know that they are together again after 10 years.

My sister and I left early Friday morning, wishing that we had just one more day to visit and be with our family. But as it was, we had to leave. I loved my Grandpa Red, but it makes me feel good that he is in a better place now. I love you Grandpa, always and forever.

No comments: